The post-election let down

So here we are, three days after the big election.  And reality is setting in.  First of all, the world didn’t magically change the moment that the election was called.  I’m not sure what I expected to happen, but whatever it was it didn’t.

Then, it hit me that Bush still has more than two months in office.  I mean really, couldn’t we just speed things up?  Obama has had twenty-one months to think about staffing and to plan.  I bet he could roll a U-Haul into the ellipse at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue tomorrow and things would still run better next week than they have been for the past eight years.  But no, we have to wait.

I also didn’t realize that losing the election wouldn’t mean the end of Sarah Palin.  She’s not going anywhere.  And maybe that’s a good thing.  A friend of mine started a Facebook group, Palin 2012, with the idea that the best way to get Obama re-elected is to have him running against Palin.  Makes sense.

I also forgot about all of the other stuff going on in this election.  Proposition 8 passed in California.  This could mean that my sister and her new wife are not married anymore.  I can’t even imagine what that must feel like for them.  So much thought and planning and hoping and feeling went into their wedding, and they’re so happy, and now the voters in California have decided that they shouldn’t be.  I don’t understand this kind of thinking.  I don’t get why people are threatened by gay marriage.  There are things happening every day that I don’t agree with, but that’s life in a complicated world.  Live and let live, love and let love.

Elizabeth Dole lost her senate seat in North Carolina.  Good.  Some say it had a lot to do with her running a despicable ad showing her opponent, Kay Hagan, at a fundraiser with a group that advocates for the rights of people who don’t believe in God.  The ad seemed to show Hagan saying that there is no God, despite the fact that she’s a former Sunday school teacher.  I myself am an agnostic, and would have even more respect for Kay Hagan if she didn’t believe in God.  But if she does, then trying to get votes by saying that she doesn’t is just wrong.  And it didn’t work.  Good.

The Al Franken Minnesota senate race still hasn’t been called, and won’t be for several weeks at least.  The count was so close (just a few hundred apart) that it triggered an automatic recount.  I’ve read several of Al Franken’s books, and while they were meant as comedy, he makes a lot of sense.

My friend’s mom won the position of supervisor in her Florida county.  It took two days to count all of the ballots, because the current supervisor – the one she was running against – was so disorganized.  So it’s especially sweet that after running an incredibly chaotic election, he lost the position of running elections.  This reminded me of a video I saw before the election of the supervisor in Philadelphia.  For those “Friends” fans out there, the Philadelphia election was basically being run by Joey’s agent Estelle.  Take a look.

Scary on several levels.

I also am realizing that I missed out on huge celebrations in my neighborhood on Tuesday night.  Apparently there were big, spontaneous street parties in several locations just a few blocks away.  I was asleep at 10:30, half an hour before the election was even called for Obama.  I’m not sure I would have even gone out if I had known what was going on, but it didn’t even occur to me that people would be taking to the streets.  This was such an emotional event for so many people, I guess I should have assumed that the neighborhood would be partying.

And last, I’m confused about something.  It’s completely inconsequential, but it has me puzzled none the less.  Barack Obama is being called our first black president, but actually he’s our first interracial president.  It’s as though we’ve gone back to the “one drop rule” of the Old South, where if a person had any black ancestors at all he or she was considered black.  Obama is such a great man, with so much potential for being a fantastic president, that I guess we all just want to claim a part of him.  But he’s not the first black president.  His mother was a white woman from Kansas.  And his father was an African man.  He’s a walking classification buster.  He’s white, black, foreign, American, and I’m sure lots of other things.  But I guess the most important thing is that he won, however you want to classify him.

UPDATE: President-Elect Obama just referred to himself as a “mutt” during his press conference.  I love him.

Originally posted on Selfish Mom

Comments

7 Responses to “The post-election let down”

1. Amybeth on November 7th, 2008 3:52 pm

Oh Amy,
    You do make me laugh. I feel sad for your sister and sister-in-law (but sadly not?). Such bullshit. I don’t know why it threatens heterosexuals so much – especially since many of them don’t seem to show a lot of respect towards the institution. (Hooray for divorce – I can register for a chafing dish 3 times!!!) Maybe I’ll join Brad and Angi and tell my sweetie we’ll marry when everyone can marry. Then I can refer to my child as a bastard and it will be more of an observation than a judgment. I kid people, I kid.
    ab

PS I love him too. The man is a class act. Technically though – aren’t we all mutts – that’s what my Mom used to say anyway.

2. Amybeth on November 7th, 2008 4:02 pm

That doesn’t read right – the “sadly not” part refers to the fact that she doesn’t get to be an “in-law”.

3. Amy on November 7th, 2008 4:10 pm

Yeah, I had to read that line twice, but then I got it. :-)

4. Toni on November 7th, 2008 5:43 pm

I was thinking about them and hoping for their sake — they haven’t legally determined what this means for already-marrieds, have they? Not that that’ll solve the big picture.

5. Amy on November 7th, 2008 6:23 pm

No, they haven’t determined yet what’s going on with those who married in that brief period between the court ruling and the election, but Una’s ready for a fight.

6. Tracy on November 8th, 2008 5:53 pm

Ok, so I’m too wordy for wordpress. ;-) I’ll try splitting it in 2 parts:
    Just back from an overnight in Atlantic City to see the awesome Sara Bareilles, God I love that girl, & it was a great way to end a great week.
    Great post Amy. There’s so much I want to comment on.
    As to the world not magically changing, I get that. But here’s an interesting thing having to do w/ my work & the economy(well to me anyway). The company I work for does heating & cooling, & we do a lot of public works projects, which require us to get bonds from insurance companies. The bonds are a guarantee that if the contractor (us) doesn’t finish the job, the insurance company will pay the project owner to complete the job. Back when the markets tanked, etc, our bonding agent called & said all the insurers were pulling back, & greatly reducing the amounts they would bond any companies for. Ever since, we missed out on many chances to bid on some big jobs because we couldn’t get bonds. So the election was Tues. Weds morning, maybe 10 am, our bonding agent called & said the insurers were now willing to issue bonds to companies, & we were good to go for as much $ per project as we wanted. Coincidence? I think not.
    Yes Bush has 2 months to go, but he’s a lame duck. I had the thought the other day, hmmm, it’s Presidential Pardon Time. Wonder who & how many there will be.
    Re: Palin(bye bye, don’t let the door hit you on the way out), In watching Colbert & Jon Stewart interview some conservative talking heads, & even on CNN, the word is that she’s not the shining star the RNC thought she’d be, that she tanked McCain’s campaign, & that if the RNC really thinks she’s the future of their party, they’re going to lose even more voters to the DNC & Ind parties. She’s become a laughing stock. So I think she’ll have a few more 15 minutes, & then hopefully get lost in the wilds of AK.
    As for prop 8, again I’m in disbelief. The other states that passed their bans, I’m not surprised, but CA shocked me. Here’s a link to a story on CNN today, showing protesters not just in CA, but in Salt Lake City @ the CLDS Mormon Temple!!!! lololol, I love it, since they spent so heavily on advertising to get it passed:
    Go protesters, go!!!!

7. Tracy on November 8th, 2008 5:55 pm

I too wished I had been somewhere to celebrate election night. I should have gone to 1 of the viewing parties that my county Obama groups had set up, but I think I was just so nervous, so worried about the outcome, & I never thought it would be called so early. I envy all those people who poured out into the streets & celebrated together. I just yelled & screamed @ home by myself. A guy @ work went outside & set off his car alarm. hehehe
    Re: The video: welcome to Philly, & its lovely politics. Yes, thank God the judge issued an emergency ruling requiring there to be not only paper ballots, but enough paper ballots on hand, but they were only to be used if 50% of the machines were broken down. It really came down the the wire, & the city & state really fought it. WHY?????
    To end on a happy note, here are some pics of the Obamas watching the election results:
    God, I love this man, I love he & Michelle as a couple, & I think they’re a beautiful family. I’m so proud to have them represent my country.
    If you need further cheering up, go back & watch the Yes We Can video a few more times. I watched it 3 or 4 times on election day to keep myself positive & try to calm my nerves. ;-) It really is a beautiful song & video.
    Also, check out will.i.am’s new Obama song, ‘It’s a New Day’:
    If that doesn’t lift you up, I don’t know what will. Great pics & video, funky music, & awesome lyrics! I was dancing around watching it. That’ll be a pick me up for me for a long while. He just debuted it on Oprah yesterday.
    Ok, I’ll shut up now. Sorry, still on a high from the election & the concert!