The tooth fairy screwed up big-time

02-21_4653Jakie lost a tooth yesterday morning.  It started bleeding at breakfast, and when he brushed his teeth a few minutes later, out it came.  He put it in a plastic bag.  We talked about it all day, and when he went to bed he put it under his pillow.  And that was the last I thought about it.

Until this morning, when I got out of the shower and my husband informed that the tooth fairy hadn’t come.  Shit.

I went downstairs, and Jake was in a ball on the couch pouting.  I asked him what was wrong, and he started crying and said that the tooth fairy hadn’t given him any money.

I told him that that had happened to me a couple of times when I was his age.  I told him that sometimes so many kids lose their teeth in one day that the tooth fairy can’t make it to all of the pillows, but that when that happens she usually gives a bonus dollar.  At least that got him to stop crying.

So now I have make SURE to remember tonight!

Originally posted on Selfish Mom

Comments

1. Toni says

That’s exactly what my mother would tell me — I think I told you about that. “The Tooth Fairy called, she’s really sorry!” If you remember, though, that whole forgetfulness of hers is also how I figured out the big Santa-Easter Bunny-Tooth Fairy trifecta.

2. says

I know, with every misstep he’s probably getting closer to the truth. Somebody warned me today that her son lied about believing for a couple of years because he thought if he owned up to knowing the truth he wouldn’t get the gifts!

3. Lisa Belkin says

Since I seem to quote you so regularly, I figured I’d pop over and say hello. And can I buy you lunch for what my dear readers put you through today? (They mean well. Usually.)

4. says

@Lisa Belkin – Hey Lisa, I just got back from dropping my lying, stinky son off at tae kwon do. :-) No worries – I’m honored to be quoted. Anybody who can’t take the comments should get out of blogging. Of course, I’m about to write a post about the comments right now – the benefit of having my own place to rant!

5. says

A friend told me about a wrinkle her friend had added–Mom had to PHONE the Tooth Fairy. This has worked out well–when I did forget I was able to say sorry,I’d forgotten to call the Fairy and I would that night.

When my younger one lost a container holding her tooth for the second time, I told her I was NOT calling the Tooth Fairy at all. The previous time I had let her write a note of explanation, same as we’d done the time she’d swallowed a tooth. But not this time. She’d been told to put the container under her pillow and leave it there and she hadnt. So she got nothing.

See, you’re the “Selfish Mom”. I’m the MEAN Mom :D

6. says

You just have to explain to them that sometimes the tooth fairy is so busy that she doesn’t even make it to that house before it starts getting light again.