Things a gardening newbie learned today

1. If you think you’ll be able to show up at Home Depot towards the end of June and find seeds, you’re in for a surprise.
  2. Bags of potting soil are heavy.  Really heavy.  And if they start to slip from your grip and you try to lift them up, they spill dirt all over you.
  3. By mid June, Burpee.com is done shipping tomato plants.
  4. The really pretty, huge, well-designed strawberry pot you saw in a magazine costs $600.
  5. Corn cross pollinates, and since you only have room right now to grow 6-8 stalks, you may end up producing 12 cornless cobs.
  6. No matter how hungry your kids say they are when you stop at the local hardware store to get seeds, look carefully at what you’re buying, because bush beans are not the same a pole beans and will not climb up the corn stalk.
  7. If you can’t find corn seeds, you may or may not be able to buy corn on the cob, take off some kernels, and plant them.  I guess we’ll find out.
  8. When your husband says that he will be done with your planting tub in a week, ignore him and go out and buy containers right away so that you don’t miss planting season.

Ready for planting

Despite all that, tomorrow I’ll be planting the tomatoes, the cucumbers, and one pot (half) of the corn.  Corn is supposed to be planted in warm sunny dry weather, but that’s not coming to Brooklyn any time soon, so if I wait for that, there’s more chance that I’ll be harvesting corn in the snow.  So, I’m going to plant half now in the 60-degree rain, and half in a couple of weeks in the sunny dry weather.  We’ll see what happens.  If/when the corn germinates, I’ll plant the beans and zucchini around them.

When I was in Chicago for the Love Your Veggies retreat, sponsored by Hidden Valley Ranch, I was raring to go.  I wanted to hit the ground running with the planting as soon as I got back to Brooklyn.  But the renovation, back doors, and ambitious husbands got in the way.  This may not be my year for yummy corn and juicy tomatoes, but I’m going to try my hardest!  What gives me hope is the memory of my sister wanting to plant tomatoes when we were kids.  She cut open a tomato, put a dozen or so seeds on a paper towel to dry, and planted them.  We all laughed at her.  Until huge delicious tomatoes started growing.

Originally posted on Selfish MomAll opinions expressed on this website come straight from Amy unless otherwise noted. Please visit Amy’s Full Disclosure page for more information.

Shop Amazon

Comments

13 Responses to “Things a gardening newbie learned today”

1. Things a gardening newbie learned today | Gardening Tips and Info on June 21st, 2009 12:37 am

[...] See original here: Things a gardening newbie learned today [...]

2. jen on June 21st, 2009 11:45 am

It’s none of my business, but why not just plant the corn in the ground. Corn is extremely tough to begin with. I think that planting them in a pot will be even tougher to get anything. I have tried it a few times in a couple of rows, with not much success. Remember that the plants need room to grow so that they do not compete for nutrients. I think that you need more pots. The corn though I do not think will do very well. Best of luck to you!

3. Amy on June 21st, 2009 12:36 pm

@jen – It’s your business, that’s why there’s a comments section. :-) And that’s an excellent question. The lead content in soil in Brooklyn is way high. Can’t plant anything edible in the ground. (My son asked the same thing, and when I explained about the lead, he said “But I thought daddy was sifting out the lead!”) And honestly, if it were April I would have spent more money for more/bigger planters. But since it’s late June and this year’s planting may already be doomed, I don’t want to spend more money. Next spring I’ll be able to use my big giant bathtub for planting too.

4. Julie on June 21st, 2009 12:38 pm

You make me giggle. I can’t plant, period. If I look at anything green or leafy, it dies. I have a fake 6 foot ficus tree and that managed to die. Green thumb? A bunch of plants cornered me and cut my thumbs off. I’m rambling. Lots of meds :)

5. Amy on June 21st, 2009 12:48 pm

@jen – Oh, and I forgot to mention, the planters are bigger than they look in that picture – the bags of soil are absolutely ginormous!

6. Amy on June 21st, 2009 12:52 pm

@Julie@Momspective – Trust me, I’ve been the same way my whole life (and my dad can get anything to grow, so this is just embarrassing). I got inspired to do this after Christmas, when I got a Chia Herb Garden to grow in my dining room. All of this gardening stuff is soooo not coming naturally to me, I have no instinct about it. Instead, I have spreadsheets, charts, and about 300 websites bookmarked!

7. Una on June 21st, 2009 2:43 pm

Talk to Cara! Have ya seen her rooftop garden!

8. Amy on June 21st, 2009 3:17 pm

@Una – No! But I’m not surprised, since she’s the one who got the tomatoes growing.

9. Cara Robinson on June 22nd, 2009 8:43 am

I love your pots by the way…so cute. The most important thing ive learned so far about the gardening is that you have to keep a really close eye on your plants. I go out twice a day to check mine….if they get infested with a bug you want to know right away so you can take care of it before it kills your plants. Our enviornment here is totally different here im sure but still some things must be the same. Check the bottom sides of your leaves everyday…this is where you are going to see the bugs. feel free to email with any questions. oh and by the way for all the beautiful pics i posted on facebook there were probably as many plants that didn’t make it :)

10. Yum Yucky on June 22nd, 2009 10:58 am

I would’ve fed my children the seeds (LOL!)…and I’m finding that ignoring the husband is a revolutionary concept that works well for me.

11. Amy on June 22nd, 2009 12:54 pm

@Yum Yucky – Every time I listen to him about something like this I regret it. You’d think after 20 years I’d have learned by now!

12. Nicole Feliciano on June 22nd, 2009 8:16 pm

Can’t wait to see what comes out of your garden.

13. Amy on June 22nd, 2009 8:21 pm

@Nicole Feliciano – Me neither! Now I’m nervous, with the opportunity for such a public failure.