Yes, it’s another gardening post!

But I’ll keep it quick, because I really need a shower.  The only part of me not dirty is my hands, because I was wearing gardening gloves that are so cute I was reluctant to get them dirty (but I did because I really hate cleaning dirt out from under my nails).  I came home from the Love Your Veggies retreat with a bunch of gardening gifts, including a little shovel thing, a spiky soil mixing thing, a knee pad for in-the-ground gardening comfort, and the gloves.  Even if nothing grows, at least I did it with cute equipment.

empty-pots

I set the pots up on bricks to help drainage through the bottom, and tried to move the first bag of soil a little closer.  My husband had carried it out for me before I knew where I wanted it, and I couldn’t get it moving so I spent the next ten minutes shoveling dirt from the bag to the closest pot, until it was light enough to pick up and dump the rest in.  Then I dragged a second bag out, checked my pulse, decided not to call an ambulance, and filled the second pot.

I constructed a little thing for the tomatoes to climb up, and planted the corn kernals in one pot and the tomatoes and cucumbers in the other.  Everything is planted way closer than every single book, website, and friend says they should be, but I’ll prove them all wrong!

tomatoes-and-cucumbers

I gave them a very light water, since it’s definitely going to rain later.  Since the seeds are close to the surface, I’m wondering if I should cover them with something when it rains?  Just until they sprout and have roots to help them stay put.  Hmmm, not sure.

Something should pop to the surface in a couple of weeks, I hope.

Originally posted on Selfish MomAll opinions expressed on this website come straight from Amy unless otherwise noted. Please visit Amy’s Full Disclosure page for more information.

Shop Amazon

Comments

8 Responses to “Yes, it’s another gardening post!”

1. Denise on June 22nd, 2009 1:02 am

Go Amy

2. Cara Robinson on June 22nd, 2009 8:33 am

yes you should keep them out of rain until they sprout or the seeds might wash away. And a warning that the rats love tomatoes so when you actually have tomatoes on the plants you will probably have to put up some chicken wire or rat traps….we learned that the hard way. Oh and you should really use some sort of food for your vegetables…it makes a huge difference. There are some really great organic foods that you just sprinkle on the surface and water. Also pruning is very important and helps the plants to grow strong and healthy. You can search google for “prune a tomato plant” or something like that to see how to do it properly.

3. Amy on June 22nd, 2009 12:52 pm

@Cara Robinson – OMG, this is all the stuff I can’t keep track of!

First, tell me more about the rats. I swore to The Ass that veggie gardens don’t attract rats unless the veggies are rotting. Do you have some kind of special rats out there on the islands?

Second, the food: I used Miracle Grow soil which says it feeds the plants for three months. Am I covered?

Pruning! I know nothing about pruning!

4. Cara Robinson on June 22nd, 2009 1:40 pm

Well all I can tell you is that the rats along with a few birds ate our tomatoes and all our green beans until we put poison out and then it stopped. We tried chicken wire at first and they still got in. You will know right away…once the tomatoes start to come out and get red if you see any nibble marks on them. Although our rats ate the stem of the tomato plants and killed a good bunch of them. You can get screening to box them in……maybe you won’t have a problem the rats here may very well have a different diet :) If your soil has food in it then you should be ok. You do want to prune however…you won’t have to do it until the plants are about a foot tall so you have some time to look into it……we just searched the internet and found good pictures and video. Let me know how it goes…good luck.

5. ab on June 22nd, 2009 3:20 pm

So impressed. If all works out well, I’d like to be invited over for a fake bacon BLT starring your tomato plants ;)

6. Amy on June 22nd, 2009 3:40 pm

@ab – OK, I’ll get out the Play-doh Morningstar Bacon Factory!

7. ab on June 23rd, 2009 9:33 am

I love that you remember that…

8. Toni on June 23rd, 2009 8:42 pm

Where is that? Can you actually go into your backyard now? Awesome.