I need a vacation, not a trip!

I’m over on the NYC Moms Blog today, talking about how I’d like to do more travel with my family that doesn’t involve visiting other family.  The only problem is, I don’t want to achieve that by visiting my family less.  I think my husband just needs 12 weeks of paid vacation every year and a huge raise and then things will work out fine. :-)

But seriously, I’m far from the only person with this problem.  Most of the people I know in Brooklyn with kids don’t have family nearby.  My maternal great-grandparents, grandparents, and mom all grew up in Buffalo and lived there all of their lives (my mother keeps threatening to leave but I don’t believe her at this point).  I spent weekends at my grandmother’s house, it was just normal.  Now, seeing grandparents is a trip, a big production.  Hardly anybody stays where they grew up anymore.  I wonder if kids growing up without being close to multiple generations of their families is going to have some kind of impact later on.  I know it has a very serious impact on our babysitting budget.

I Need a Vacation, Not a Trip

Originally posted on Selfish Mom. All opinions expressed on this website come straight from Amy unless otherwise noted. Please visit Amy’s Full Disclosure page for more information.

Comments

9 Responses to “I need a vacation, not a trip!”

1. Denise Traynor on November 26th, 2009 12:05 pm

Yeah, I think growing up with family near is good in some respects especially the free childcare. But then you have to put up with all the other stuff –having family know your business, overhearing stuff that gives part of the reality and having them draw incorrect conclusions and just having to deal with more people as they age. I think having family near benefits the kids rather than the parents, so maybe the kids need to be dropped off so the parents can have some time alone together wheneever that is possibel.

2. Denise Traynor on November 26th, 2009 12:06 pm

oops, typo possible

3. Denise Traynor on November 26th, 2009 12:45 pm

Sorry, me again. But then part of me would love to come home from work and (after a cup of tea, of course) hang out with the kids or do stuff with them on weekends. And that nice mother-daughter shopping. I wish that part of the year family could be near and part of the year away.

4. Laura on November 27th, 2009 8:47 am

My folks live 1/4 mile away and my husband’s folks live in Delaware (we’re in Michigan). I complain to him every year that our vacations are taken up visiting family in Delaware (sorry Delawarians, besides the ocean, there is nothing there). We finally booked “our own vacation” for a weeks stay at a vacation home in Orlando in February and guess what I did? Invited in the in-laws to stay with us!! I’m hoping it will save us a trip out east this summer :)

As much as I hate the cloudy, cold Michigan winter, I wouldn’t want to move away from my family.

5. Cara on November 27th, 2009 11:14 am

It is such a tough call and I constantly think about how we will handle it when we have kids and there is no hope of driving anywhere. Any trip means getting on a plane and they have cut so many flights that travelling from the Caribbean is a huge pain in the ass!! I can’t wait until they invent teleporting.

6. Amy on November 27th, 2009 5:49 pm

@Denise Traynor – I don’t necessary want to live near all you guys, I’d rather you all lived near each other so that I could see you all in one trip. :-)

7. Amy on November 27th, 2009 5:49 pm

@Laura – That’s hilarious. But at least you’ll be in a different location.

8. Amy on November 27th, 2009 5:51 pm

@Cara – Well, at least you live in a place that people might want to visit! I figured once we had a house, everybody would want to come stay with us in New York, since they wouldn’t have to pay for a hotel.

9. Cara on November 28th, 2009 9:30 am

Believe me if we could afford it we would probably be in New York every other weekend :)