Yeah, I’m judging this mom

Anyone who says that you shouldn’t judge other parents’ choices is probably referring to a difference of opinion about breastfeeding, or circumcision, or public vs. private school, or any number of topics where parents often disagree. Then you travel down that slippery slope of “I can’t believe they do this, but it’s a free country” topics, like child beauty pageants. Scraping the bottom of that topic is this mom. She injects her eight-year-old daughter with Botox. Because eight-year-old girls are known for having hideous, wrinkly faces that will doom them to a life of dark alleys and low-paying jobs where the world won’t be subjected to their ugliness.

The fact that the young girl’s regular bikini waxes aren’t the most shocking thing in the article is just messed up. And please note that the mother wants to get her daughter’s eyebrows and lips tattood as well.

What does this child think of the Botox injections? “They used to hurt, but now I don’t cry that much.” I’m not sure what an acceptable level of crying is for an eight-year-old who has just had internet-purchased toxins injected into her face, but I’m relieved that it’s not “that much.”

“I also want a boob and nose job soon, so that I can be a star.” Sigh.

So what’s the mother’s reason for all of this? It’s pretty much what you’d expect: “When she’s a superstar earning millions, she’ll always be grateful for what I did when she was so young.”

Yes. Because that’s what’s going to become of this. There’s no chance that this poor girl will instead wind up pregnant at fifteen, searching for someone who will love her for who she is.

Or maybe, she’ll just end up looking like this.

Originally posted on Selfish Mom. All opinions expressed on this website come straight from Amy unless otherwise noted. This post has a Compensation Level of 0. Please visit Amy’s Full Disclosure page for more information. Amy also blogs at Filming In Brooklyn, Behind the Screen, and Momtourage, and podcasts with The Blogging Angels.

Comments

1. says

Holy crap! This is exactly why beautiful, smart, normal young girls like mine wonder why THEY aren’t pretty enough, smart enough or special enough. These parents aren’t only harming their own children, they are damaging an entire nation of young girls.

• says

@Mom101: They do if they shop at Abercrombie! Ha!

The fact that you posted about padded bikinis for kids at almost the exact same time that I posted about this is completely freaking me out.

2. says

Holy crap. 8 years old and her self-esteem is probably already damaged beyond repair. Way to go mom!

A question that’s nagging my brain: is she actually physically doing the injections, or has she found some scumbag doctor to do it?

3. Adriana says

Wha?… I’m still stuck at no pubic hair=stardom. If only I’d known that was the formula back when I was 8! Gotta be ready for that Britney Spears money shot, right?

4. Jessica says

I just read the full article and it is quite disgusting. Not only did it sound like child abuse, but also sexual abuse. To fixate on your child’s private areas in the hopes of her becoming more attractive is more than a little creepy. I fear you are sadly correct in your prediction for this child – teen pregnancy, and probably abusive partners.

5. Cara Robinson says

I actually saw this article last week and it made me want to throw-up. This poor girls life is as good as ruined and I agree with one of your earlier commenters on the topic of normal girls not feeling pretty enough,or skinny enough or perfect enough. I remember feeling that pressure growing up and things weren’t half as crazy as they are now. Looking at what’s out there today teenage girls must feel like they have to be slutty and act stupid to be popular and accepted. This hits so close to home now that I have my own daughter…who knows what she will have to contend with when she gets to be a teenager

6. says

there are no words for this. all i kept thinking while reading it was ‘jocelyn wildenstein’ and then you linked to her are the end… brilliant

• says

@amyz5: I never skip an opportunity to reference JW. I feel like it’s my duty to help her get her money’s worth for what she spent on that face.