Yeah, I’m judging this mom

Anyone who says that you shouldn’t judge other parents’ choices is probably referring to a difference of opinion about breastfeeding, or circumcision, or public vs. private school, or any number of topics where parents often disagree. Then you travel down that slippery slope of “I can’t believe they do this, but it’s a free country” topics, like child beauty pageants. Scraping the bottom of that topic is this mom. She injects her eight-year-old daughter with Botox. Because eight-year-old girls are known for having hideous, wrinkly faces that will doom them to a life of dark alleys and low-paying jobs where the world won’t be subjected to their ugliness.

The fact that the young girl’s regular bikini waxes aren’t the most shocking thing in the article is just messed up. And please note that the mother wants to get her daughter’s eyebrows and lips tattood as well.

What does this child think of the Botox injections? “They used to hurt, but now I don’t cry that much.” I’m not sure what an acceptable level of crying is for an eight-year-old who has just had internet-purchased toxins injected into her face, but I’m relieved that it’s not “that much.”

“I also want a boob and nose job soon, so that I can be a star.” Sigh.

So what’s the mother’s reason for all of this? It’s pretty much what you’d expect: “When she’s a superstar earning millions, she’ll always be grateful for what I did when she was so young.”

Yes. Because that’s what’s going to become of this. There’s no chance that this poor girl will instead wind up pregnant at fifteen, searching for someone who will love her for who she is.

Or maybe, she’ll just end up looking like this.

Originally posted on Selfish Mom. All opinions expressed on this website come straight from Amy unless otherwise noted. This post has a Compensation Level of 0. Please visit Amy’s Full Disclosure page for more information. Amy also blogs at Filming In Brooklyn, Behind the Screen, and Momtourage, and podcasts with The Blogging Angels.

Comments

19 Responses to “Yeah, I’m judging this mom”

1. Carolyn (temysmom) on March 30th, 2011 5:16 pm

Holy crap! This is exactly why beautiful, smart, normal young girls like mine wonder why THEY aren’t pretty enough, smart enough or special enough. These parents aren’t only harming their own children, they are damaging an entire nation of young girls.

2. Mom101 on March 30th, 2011 5:17 pm

Do 8 year olds even have bikinis to wax?

Hold me.
    Mom101 recently posted..Top 10 reasons to buy your 8 year old a padded bikini top from AbercrombieMy Profile

@Mom101: They do if they shop at Abercrombie! Ha!

The fact that you posted about padded bikinis for kids at almost the exact same time that I posted about this is completely freaking me out.

3. Steve ( on March 30th, 2011 5:21 pm

This borders on child abuse. If Mom is so off her rocker, where the hell is Dad? Grandma? Someone with enough since to put a stop this.

@Steve (@fathernorest): The dad? He died recently, at 83. Which would put him in his mid-seveties when this child was born. Umm….

4. Jen L. on March 30th, 2011 6:25 pm

That is just sick and evil. I JUDGE HER TOO. OMG, that made me mad.

5. Janet on March 30th, 2011 8:00 pm

What kind of doctor thinks it’s OKAY to use Botox on an 8 yr. old?

I feel sorry for this kid because her mom’s a wreck.

@Janet: No kind that I know of. She’s doing the injections herself.

6. Elissa on March 30th, 2011 9:27 pm

Wow. Just speechless. And yeah, I’m judging that mom too.

7. samantha on March 30th, 2011 9:49 pm

I have a nice albeit amateur post on a similar topic and I could sure use the visits! And btw, as a mother of daughters, this makes me crazy!!! Do I tweet amongst these kooks? Yes. I believe I do.

samantha recently posted..Padded bikini for 8 year old Do we even need to askMy Profile

8. Very Bloggy Beth on March 31st, 2011 1:02 pm

Holy crap. 8 years old and her self-esteem is probably already damaged beyond repair. Way to go mom!

A question that’s nagging my brain: is she actually physically doing the injections, or has she found some scumbag doctor to do it?
    Very Bloggy Beth recently posted..IndividualityMy Profile

@Very Bloggy Beth: No, she’s acting as the scumbag doctor. She buys the Botox online and does the injections on her daughter, as well as on herself.

9. Adriana on March 31st, 2011 8:27 pm

Wha?… I’m still stuck at no pubic hair=stardom. If only I’d known that was the formula back when I was 8! Gotta be ready for that Britney Spears money shot, right?

@Adriana: Yeah, I’m trying to draw a straight line between those two points as well. This mom may have discovered the secret to success.

10. Jessica on April 1st, 2011 8:07 am

I just read the full article and it is quite disgusting. Not only did it sound like child abuse, but also sexual abuse. To fixate on your child’s private areas in the hopes of her becoming more attractive is more than a little creepy. I fear you are sadly correct in your prediction for this child – teen pregnancy, and probably abusive partners.

11. Cara Robinson on April 2nd, 2011 12:22 pm

I actually saw this article last week and it made me want to throw-up. This poor girls life is as good as ruined and I agree with one of your earlier commenters on the topic of normal girls not feeling pretty enough,or skinny enough or perfect enough. I remember feeling that pressure growing up and things weren’t half as crazy as they are now. Looking at what’s out there today teenage girls must feel like they have to be slutty and act stupid to be popular and accepted. This hits so close to home now that I have my own daughter…who knows what she will have to contend with when she gets to be a teenager

@Cara Robinson: Well, you live on a beach so if anyone should be worrying about her child’s future leg hair…kidding!

12. amyz5 on April 4th, 2011 2:06 pm

there are no words for this. all i kept thinking while reading it was ‘jocelyn wildenstein’ and then you linked to her are the end… brilliant
    amyz5 recently posted..When Your Kids Act BrattyMy Profile

@amyz5: I never skip an opportunity to reference JW. I feel like it’s my duty to help her get her money’s worth for what she spent on that face.