Today’s Agenda, in pictures

Today is my husband’s birthday, so I’ll be baking him a cake. I baked him a completely last-minute cake from a mix on Saturday for his birthday party (how the hell did I forget a cake?), and I think he would be happy to skip it today, but we’ll be having dinner tonight with the kids so this cake is really for them.

I wanted to make a homemade cake and homemade frosting, since this one won’t be last-minute. He said that a homemade cake is fine, but that the store-bought frosting is non-negotiable. And I hate to admit it, but no frosting I’ve ever made tasted as good as Duncan Hines’ chocolate frosting. If you have any recipes that taste like that, please send them my way!

IMAG0500

Next up is trying to straighten the shoe shelf. Apparently I’m trying to set a record for the number of Container Store shelves stacked on top of each other, and it’s leaning pretty badly. My husband says the solution is to have less shoes. Isn’t he adorable?

IMAG0499

The rest of the day will be spent trying to get a handle on the laundry situation. It’s bad. All of those bins are dirty laundry, plus everything on the floor, plus on the floor in the next room!

IMAG0496

And even the stuff that’s clean isn’t put away.

IMAG0498

Plus, you know, actual work. Sigh. Monday. Busy. Nothing exciting. You?

Originally posted on Selfish Mom. All opinions expressed on this website come straight from Amy unless otherwise noted. This post has a Compensation Level of 0. Please visit Amy’s Full Disclosure page for more information.

Comments

10 Responses to “Today’s Agenda, in pictures”

1. Cara on September 26th, 2011 9:53 am

sounds like you could use a little bit of my cleaning OCD and I could use a little bit of your hmm more relaxed apprach to laundry :) I can’t take big piles of laundry…..of course I should say that here if you leave even slightly moist laundry for more than a few days it develops those little black mildew spots that are impossible to get rid of…so that is motivating in itself. I love Mondays…it’s daddy daycare day which means I don’t have to do all the necessary things to get Chloe out of the house…shaves a good 1/2 hour or more off my morning :)

@Cara: Really I only have to wait a few more years – Fiona is TOTALLY like you and Una so maybe I can just pay her to take care of all this stuff.

2. No Drama Mama on September 26th, 2011 1:18 pm

Excellent! Now I don’t feel so bad that I dumped my husband’s work shirts in a heap. Laundry sucks.

@No Drama Mama: Listen, if I were responsible for my husband’s work shirts in any way, our marriage might not survive. He drops them off at the dry cleaners near the subway on the way to work, and picks them up. Once or twice a year he can’t get there in time and I have to go, but that’s it.

I had a friend whose husband refused to pay for getting his shirts done, and she spent half her life ironing them. I’m sure there were other factors besides the shirts, but I was not surprised when they got divorced!

3. SLA on September 26th, 2011 2:48 pm

Oh wow, your laundry room looks just as bad as mine! My clean clothes are never put away on time either… I don’t mind the actual process of *doing* laundry once I get started, but I always get lazy when it comes time to actually get the stuff where it’s supposed to go! I wonder why that happens?

~Kayla

4. Cara on September 26th, 2011 4:14 pm

Thank goodness Kel dosen’t have to wear nice shirts to work….I don’t even recall the last time I saw an iron!!

Ah little Fiona…she isn’t doing laundry yet?

5. Larissa on September 27th, 2011 11:50 am

Yay, Me! (said like London Tipton of The Suite Life tv show)…my laundry situation is not quite as dire as yours! LOL It’s nice to know that there are other moms out there with the same laundry issues. Pictures make it even more reassuring that I’m not just a laundry failure. :) Thanks for being “normal”, at least to me!

6. Larissa on September 27th, 2011 11:54 am

Oh, and regarding chocolate frosting…have you ever tried using ganache? It’s soooooo easy. Heat up heavy cream/whipping cream, turn off heat, add chopped up chocolate (whatever kind you like, bittersweet, semisweet, fully sweet), let sit until the chocolate is melted, whisk together. Now, you have two options – first you could just pour the glaze over your baked goods (this works good if you keep your cake in a pan with higher sides or if you do it on a rack over a cookie sheet with a rim). Second option- place the mixture in the fridge for a hour or so until it’s cool and you can now whip it with your mixer and make it into a creamy frosting. This is sooooo good. You can also use the cooled, whipped version as a fruit dip. :) try it, your hubby may like it.

@Larissa: I LOVE ganache. But still not the same flavor as the stupid Duncan Hines stuff that my whole family prefers! I have to find the right chocolate. It’s not the consistency, it’s the particular flavor of the chocolate. I’ll keep looking. It’s a tough job…

BTW, thanks for the tip about refrigerating and whipping the ganache – didn’t realize you could do that!

Larissa Reply:

@Amy: You’re welcome! The refrigerated, whipped ganache is like the inside of a truffle…mmmmmmmm :)