Google+

A Stinky Hotel Problem

Marriott Hotel Toiletries

So you’re traveling. You’re staying in a hotel with your family. Unlike at home, you’re all sharing one bathroom.

It’s inevitable: someone will make the bathroom unusable…for a period of time. You know why. Don’t make me say it.

And don’t think I’m throwing my family under the bus here, either. It’s just me and Jake here at the Marriott, and I was the one who stunk the bathroom up (there, I said it).

This time, anyway.

Hotel bathrooms almost never have windows. And the ventilation system – if there is one – will not take care of the problem.

So here’s my question:

With all of the stuff in my hotel bathroom – soap, conditioner, lotion, mouthwash, shower cap, shoe mitt, even a sewing kit – why isn’t there any air freshener? I’ve never ever seen this.

Only once have I ever even seen a travel-size container of air freshener, but at least I know it exists. So why haven’t the hotels – or the air freshener companies – jumped on this?

Originally posted on Selfish Mom. All opinions expressed on this website come straight from Amy unless otherwise noted. This post has a Compensation Level of 0. Please visit Amy’s Full Disclosure page for more information.

Comments

9 Responses to “A Stinky Hotel Problem”

1. Shelly on August 21st, 2012 6:10 am

We use matches, works great!!

@Shelly: That’s a great idea. I need to get some and put them in my make-up bag. I don’t think I’ve owned matches in about 20 years! I’ll have to find some. :-)

Shelly Reply:

@Amy: That’s where I keep mine! Get them from restaurants or hotel bars (unless they’re non-smoking!)

2. Monique on August 21st, 2012 7:03 am

Good point. Something I can now add to my travel pet peeves list.
    Monique recently posted..Travel Etiquette: My Top 5 Travel Pet PeevesMy Profile

3. Ashley on August 21st, 2012 7:58 am

I swear hotel bathrooms smell worse than at home, too. I’ve always said they need freshener in hotel rooms.
    Ashley recently posted..Scenes from a Weekend: Hunger Games and Fall Fashion EditionMy Profile

4. Fresh Wave on August 21st, 2012 10:48 am

Fresh Wave in an all-natural odor eliminator that comes in travel size, perfect for this problem! We work commercially with hotels, however, not all have caught on yet :).

5. Mitch on August 21st, 2012 10:12 pm

Then imagine this in the whole hotel room, not just the bathroom and welcome to my world!
    Not that I am competing with you!
    Mitch recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Saturday’s NYC, w/Linky!My Profile

6. Nancy on August 22nd, 2012 12:04 am

I SWEAR I had the exact same thought this morning in my hotel room! It’s a money-maker, that idea!
    Nancy recently posted..Words to Live By: Never Pay RetailMy Profile

7. Malia on August 22nd, 2012 4:47 pm

Shelly beat me to it. But yes, I pack matches (learned that tip from my mom.) And they came in quite handy a few weeks ago at BlogHer ;-)
    Malia recently posted..Featured Member Interview: Dusty B.My Profile