Food And Friends

WP_20130403_009

Today I had the huge privilege of going to my favorite kind of work event. It wasn’t about a brand, although two great brands – KitchenAid and Glad – were both sponsors. No, today was more personal: a chance to get together with friends to celebrate one of our own, a blogger and all-around wonderful person who is seeing one of her dreams come true with the publication of her cookbook, Homemade With Love.

My friend Jennifer Perillo has had lows and highs in the past year and a half that I can only imagine. Her cookbook isn’t just about food, it’s also about love and family. Her husband Mikey was her cooking muse, and she lost him in August 2011. Her love for him – and of cooking for him and their daughters – infuses the pages of the book and seeps into the recipes.

The day my book arrived from Amazon I took it to bed with me, thinking I would just read the intro and flip through it. I stayed up for hours reading the entire thing. I lost count of how many times I teared up.

And today, I got to eat a lot of that food. It’s not the first time I’ve eaten Jennifer’s food, but this time was different because every time I tasted something and ooh-ed and aah-ed, I knew I had the recipe waiting for me at home.

WP_20130403_007

Jennifer spent the first part of the event madly cranking out dishes from her tiny kitchen, and when she insisted that we all start eating I wasn’t shy. I started with some creamy homemade ricotta, chickpea salad, homemade cheese crackers, and of course a cupcake.

WP_20130403_010

Then I moved on to the pastas: one with pesto, one with a delicious red sauce and lentil-ricotta meat(less)balls. Everything was wonderful and backed up the book’s premise: good food is not complicated. Start with simple, healthy ingredients, add Jennifer’s techniques and instructions, and the results will be amazing.

The kids and I just got home last night from Spring Break in Buffalo visiting my mom, and now I’m on a plane headed to California for a few days for a work event. By the time I get home I’ll have gone nine days without cooking or baking anything, and will probably be in withdrawal. I already know what I’m going to make first, and I copied the recipes from Jennie’s book last night so that I could put in a grocery order while I was away and have the ingredients ready to go when I get home. I can’t wait. I’ll make sure to report back.

WP_20130403_020

Originally posted on Selfish Mom. All opinions expressed on this website come straight from Amy unless otherwise noted. This post has a Compensation Level of 0. Please visit Amy’s Full Disclosure page for more information.

Comments

17 Responses to “Food And Friends”

1. SelfishMom on April 3rd, 2013 10:37 pm

2. BethRosen on April 3rd, 2013 11:21 pm

RT @SelfishMom: #HomemadeWithLove @JenniferPerillo RT @SelfishMom: New on SelfishMom: Food And Friends http://t.co/7JoWqHFY5Z

3. Jennie on April 4th, 2013 7:05 am

Amy, I’m so honored that you made it yesterday, considering the crazy travel schedule you’ve had. It meant the world to have you there to help celebrate this moment.

Jennifer, I’m so happy for you – I wouldn’t have missed it for the world! And I can’t wait to see you again tomorrow.

4. Monica on April 5th, 2013 2:00 am

I loved seeing you yesterday! What a fabulous event! I particularly love that you included the cupcake as part of your first course. Well played.

Well come on now, what if a meteorite had hit the house before I got back to the food again? My dying thought would have been “But I didn’t have dessert!”

Jennie Reply:

Is there a like button for your thinking Amy?

I can’t help it. Dessert should always come first. I eat it with breakfast most days!

5. JenniferPerillo on April 5th, 2013 2:23 pm

Some more food for thought on #HomemadeWithLove from @SelfishMom http://t.co/tEkB5VCdC5.

6. afterthealter on April 5th, 2013 2:24 pm

Looks like a great event, and the food pictues made me hungry..lol Thanks!

7. SelfishMom on April 5th, 2013 2:32 pm

SO proud of you! RT @JenniferPerillo: Some more food for thought on #HomemadeWithLove from @SelfishMom http://t.co/YXo0ZUejlZ.

8. CarolACain on April 5th, 2013 3:07 pm

RT @SelfishMom: SO proud of you! RT @JenniferPerillo: Some more food for thought on #HomemadeWithLove from @SelfishMom http://t.co/YXo0Z

9. Running Press Cooks on April 5th, 2013 3:41 pm

Wednesday, April 3 was filled with good friends and great eats as author Jennifer Perillo hosted a launch party for her book, HOMEMADE WITH LOVE.

Two attendees have already shared their love for the book on their blogs. Check out what fellow foodies had to say about the delicious evening (and their friend, Jennie):

- http://selfishmom.com/2013/04/03/food-and-friends/
    - http://www.foodiecitymom.com/homemade-with-love-nyc-book-launch-event/

Also, be sure to watch this inspiring video from the HOMEMADE WITH LOVE author herself! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YYiwegmlV4

10. thisfullhouse on April 5th, 2013 3:54 pm

RT @selfishmom: SO proud of you! @JenniferPerillo: Some more food for thought on #HomemadeWithLove via @SelfishMom http://t.co/cDcWrfNhzU.

11. primetimeparent on April 7th, 2013 12:26 am

Food And Friends http://t.co/UU9Rb4d49x via @SelfishMom #homemadewithlove

12. [BLOCKED BY STBV] Homemade with Love – a Beautiful Cookbook from a Beautiful Cook | chefdruck.com on April 15th, 2013 12:08 am

[...] Gina from Bowl Licker Flexing my Mussels in Jennie’s Kitchen from Ilina from Dirt and Noise Food and Friends from Selfish MomBaking with my Kids from Homemade with Love from Selfish Mom Easy and Delicious from Homemade with [...]

13. [BLOCKED BY STBV] Homemade With Love on April 17th, 2013 1:11 pm