Posting this for @curmudgeonmufin. Not holding my breath for an apology though…

So this happened today:

Someone named Erin (@curmudgeonmufin) accused me on twitter of tweeting about a product (Tide stain pens) without disclosing that they paid me (which they didn’t). Actually, she accused me of not being “subtle” about the alleged sponsorship. Apparently, in her mind, I’m not supposed to be so straightforward about it when I like a product. I’m supposed to hide my “sponsorship” better.

Unfortunately for her, I’d bought the pen on my way to Chipotle (they’re next door to each other) since Tide stain pens are AWESOME and I knew the only thing dumber than eating a burrito in a white shirt would be to do it without a Tide stain pen handy. (I even bought one for Omer to keep at work, since he’s as messy as I am and they were so cheap.)

WP_20130706_003

True to form, I dropped a tomato and a little guac on my brand new white shirt with my very first bite! And was SO glad to have that Tide stain pen with me.

So, Tide stain pens got a little publicity from me, and thanks to this Erin person, they got more.

Erin, you made a completely baseless accusation, attacked my integrity in a very public way, and possibly worst of all made me get off of the couch and go to my car to search for the receipt. You owe me a public apology. But based on our conversation so far, like I said, I’m not holding my breath.

Originally posted on Selfish Mom. All opinions expressed on this website come straight from Amy unless otherwise noted. This post has a Compensation Level of 0. Please visit Amy’s Full Disclosure page for more information.

Comments

31 Responses to “Posting this for @curmudgeonmufin. Not holding my breath for an apology though…”

1. SelfishMom on July 6th, 2013 3:17 pm

@nycjenny Thank you for backing me up! Waiting for an apology… http://t.co/wIruyCllhP @curmudgeonmufin

2. I_AM_MICHL on July 6th, 2013 3:28 pm

@SelfishMom You go girl!!

3. Rebecca Martin on July 6th, 2013 3:30 pm

Can I get an “In your face!” for @curmudgeonmuffin up in here?

4. Amy Oztan on July 6th, 2013 3:31 pm

I resisted the urge to title it “BOOM!”

5. Rebecca Martin on July 6th, 2013 3:33 pm

You totally should have. If she truly “admired” you and knew anything about you, she would know you recognize sponsors in more detail than 90% of the blogs out there.

6. Amy Oztan on July 6th, 2013 3:35 pm

I mean look, she’s probably going to say “Just because you bought it doesn’t mean Tide isn’t paying you.” Whatever. I was going to let it go, but I figured since the proof was close at hand…

7. Molley on July 6th, 2013 4:19 pm

Some people are just stupid! i think it’s excellent planning to carry a tide to go pen and bonus you got them at a discount.
    Molley recently posted..I Got Nuthin’My Profile

8. Ellen Reavis Gerstein on July 6th, 2013 4:24 pm

What about Chipolte? It’s feeling a little left out of your brew haha. And, BOOM!

9. Kim Hibbard Tolander on July 6th, 2013 4:29 pm

It’s crazytown interactions like that that make me want to turn off the internets for weeks on end. What is wrong with people?

Amy Oztan Reply:

@Kim Hibbard Tolander: No idea. Some people just can’t admit when they’re wrong.

10. @leslie on July 6th, 2013 4:31 pm

People like this are why we can’t have nice things. And why women have such a reputation for tearing each other down instead of building each other up.

Additionally – Tide stain pens are awesome.
    @leslie recently posted..Winners of the Social Media Metrics for Dummies Giveaway AnnouncedMy Profile

11. nycjenny on July 6th, 2013 5:02 pm

@SelfishMom my pleasure-you’re ALWAYS upfront about who is paying you. I seriously thought she was joking at first.

12. Judi Knott on July 6th, 2013 5:22 pm

You forgot to mention you got said “stain pens” on sale…tsk, tsk, seems to me CVS is in cahoots with Tide in showing you favoritism ;)

Amy Oztan Reply:

@Judi Knott: Damn, you caught me…

13. NYCSingleMom on July 6th, 2013 6:44 pm

I tweet and FB all the time about brands I dont get paid to talk about! good grief!

14. Nycsinglemom Grant on July 6th, 2013 6:46 pm

I dont think I have that kind of time to call people out!

15. Nycsinglemom Grant on July 6th, 2013 6:47 pm

Actually if I saw your tweet, I would think how smart is she too even think of buying the Tide Pen as opposed to me who just gets stains

Amy Oztan Reply:

@Nycsinglemom Grant: Ha! I just know myself well. Although even I was surprised I needed it THAT soon. I was leaning way over the table, too.

16. Vicky on July 6th, 2013 7:09 pm

Don’t you have a regular life outside of your web.

17. Vicky on July 6th, 2013 7:13 pm

I have to reiterate, you do deserve an apology you are not your blog you are AMY too. I looked as an Ops and funny and been in that situation.

18. submom4 on July 6th, 2013 7:26 pm

Not to mention the fact that very single time I’ve seen you post a sponsored tweet, you adhere to the FTC guidelines. They’ve made certain that really, there can’t be thinly-veiled sponsored posts.
    submom4 recently posted..Random WeekendMy Profile

Amy Oztan Reply:

@submom4: Thank you. There have been times over the years when I’ve forgotten to disclose – I’m only human – but I’ve made a correction as soon as I realized it. Way different than purposely trying to hide something.

19. Whitney Lindeman on July 6th, 2013 7:36 pm

This is so stupid. Just because you have a blog, you’re not allowed to mention brand names? And if you do, it’s because they’re paying you? Couldn’t possibly be that you simply have brand preferences like every normal human being. Sheeeesh.

20. Amy Oztan on July 6th, 2013 10:59 pm

Ha! Nycsinglemom Grant, if ever I should have bought stock in a company…

21. Christy on July 6th, 2013 11:30 pm

I heart you, which you know. And I have pretty strong feelings for Tide Pens, too. I will admit that Tide did once give me a pen for free, maybe in 2009. I haven’t yet eaten at Chipotle, largely because they have never paid me to do so.
    Christy recently posted..Traveling the Maine Coast on Amtrak’s DowneasterMy Profile

Amy Oztan Reply:

@Christy: Well then I’m taking you out to Chipotle, because it’s awesome!

22. Tonia L. Clark on July 7th, 2013 3:27 am

Hi Amy, I’m just now getting around to getting on Twitter from my PC & realizing it’s a lot easier to follow entire convos on my computer than it is on my iPhone Twitter app! I apparently missed out on a few pieces of the conversation between the two of you and can understand now why you were so upset! It was a baseless accusation on her part and the lame part of it is how she tried to complement your writing style all while accusing you at the same time! Seriously? You know you were in the right, and your readers know you well enough to know you wouldn’t post a sponsored tweet knowingly without disclosure. I would be upset too. Even if you used the hashtag #unsponsored she probably would say your weren’t being ‘subtle’ enough, which makes no sense whatsoever. She really should apologize.
    Tonia L. Clark recently posted..Whose ready for something new?!My Profile

Amy Oztan Reply:

@Tonia L. Clark: She totally should. But don’t worry, I’m not upset. I only get upset when I’m on the wrong. :-D

Some people just treat the online world like an alternate reality, where what they say doesn’t matter. She didn’t have a leg to stand on – there’s no way she would have made that accusation to my face. Sad for her.

23. m on July 7th, 2013 9:07 am

The blogger secret police got you!
    I suspect they got their original info from the NSA who are reading all our tweets now.
    m recently posted..Review – @CartoonNetwork’s Ben 10 Omniverse: Heroes Rise DVD!My Profile

Amy Oztan Reply:

@m: Mitch, as long as I’m still alright with the Gay Mafia, everything’s going to be OK.

24. Lisa on July 14th, 2013 7:09 pm

Wow! That’s what I have to say first. Secondly, I cannot stand ppl who do not mind their own business.

Also, as IF you didn’t know the rules of a sponsored post! SMH!
    Lisa recently posted..{Recipe} Limber de Coco – Coconut Cream Ice Pops (or cups)My Profile