SelfishMom.com disclosure policy:
SelfishMom.com is a personal blog written and edited by Amy, aka Selfish Mom. For questions about this blog, please contact Amy@SelfishMom.com.
This blog accepts many forms of compensation, including (but not limited to) paid posts, sponsorships, advertising, products, and trips.
The compensation Amy receives may influence the advertising content, links, or post topics of this blog, but will never influence Amy’s opinions on any subject or product.
If a reader clicks on a link or advertisement on SelfishMom.com and subsequently makes a purchase on that website, or uses a discount code found on SelfishMom.com, Amy may receive some form of compensation (cash or otherwise) from that company or website.
If Amy is given free products of minimal value at a conference, event or meeting that are being given to all attendees, such as bags, books, water bottles, small product samples, coupons, etc., she does not consider these items as compensation and will not necessarily disclose them when talking about a product.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely Amy’s own, unless otherwise stated. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. If Amy quotes from a press release or other source, that content will be clearly marked.
Amy does not have control of which products, services or locations appear in advertisements hosted by third parties, and is not influenced in any way by these advertisements.
Amy is not responsible for anything that happens to anyone as a result of following her advice or reviews, or purchasing a product or service as a result of visiting SelfishMom.com.
Amy reserves the right to remove any comment that she sees fit, for any reason, including but not limited to her mood that particular day. Comments are likely to be removed if they are abusive to another commenter, an advertiser, or a sponsor, or if they appear to have been left mostly for the purpose of promoting another website, blog or business, or if they promote a business that competes with an advertiser or sponsor.
While Amy welcomes constructive criticism and opposing points of view, comments left for the sole purpose of being insulting will be removed.
Some links in the comments section are followed, so if your comment has even the faintest whiff of spam, it will be removed, or edited to remove the link or the Comment Luv. Comments such as “LOL!” “OMG!” and “I agree!” that appear to have been posted solely to take advantage of getting a link back may be removed.
In cases where the number of comments left matters (such as for giveaways), Amy may condense multiple comments from a single person. For example, if a commenter was asked to include a link and did not, then added the link in a second comment, those two comments would likely be combined.
Last, this is my site. You are a guest here. This is not a democracy and I have no responsibility to let you have your say. Play nice, or else.
Amy often tweets about products or services she has been compensated for, or companies she has an ongoing relationship with. If Amy is paid specifically to Tweet about a product or service, she will start the tweet with “ad:” short for advertisement.
If Amy says something especially funny or profound, it was probably stolen from an episode of Friends, Will & Grace, Frasier, or West Wing, and will not be identified as such. Amy would rather leave you with the impression that she is witty.
Amy no longer uses the following numerical disclosure system, but is leaving it here to preserve its many incoming links.
[If you'd like to get your own version of these compensation levels to use on your own blog, please go here.]
Compensation levels will be stated clearly at the end of any post that mentions a product, service or location that is covered by any of the levels listed below (or possibly within a post if there are many products listed, such as a gift list). If no compensation level is listed, it is to be assumed that there was no compensation involved with the post or any products, services or locations mentioned in the post. For the purposes of these levels Amy does not consider transportation to and from a local event, or food consumed at an event, as compensation. Compensation refers to cash, gift certificates, products, or services.
- Level 0: Amy has no significant relationship with any product, service or brand mentioned in this post.
- Level 1: The product or service mentioned was provided to Amy free of charge (or at a considerable discount not available to the public).
- Level 2: The product or service mentioned was provided to Amy free of charge and Amy was compensated to post about the product or service.*
- Level 3: Amy was compensated for inserting links from a specific website into this post.
- Level 4: Amy was compensated for including a product in pictures or videos in this post.
- Level 5: Amy was compensated for attending the event mentioned in this post.
- Level 6: Amy was compensated for posting about the event mentioned in this post.
- Level 7: Amy was provided with transportation, food, lodging, tickets, and/or other incidentals for the trip mentioned in this post.
- Level 8: Although not specifically compensated for this post, Amy has an ongoing relationship with a company or person connected with a product, service or location mentioned in this post that Amy feels may have influenced her decision to post about it.
- Level 9: Products or services were provided to Amy to give away in a contest.
- Level 10: Products or services were provided to Amy to give away in a contest and to keep for her own use or for review.
- Level 11: Amy was compensated for administering this contest.
- Level 12: The product or service mentioned advertises directly with SelfishMom.com.
- Level 13: This is a sponsored post. Amy was compensated to write this post. While Amy’s opinions in the post are authentic, talking points may have been suggested by the sponsor.*
- Level 14: Amy is under contract with the company, product or service mentioned in this post. While not specifically paid for this post, she is paid by the company to attend events and write about the company/product/service. She receives free samples of the product, special access to the company, and all of her costs are covered when attending events related to the company.
- Level 15: Amy works for the company mentioned in the post on a freelance basis.
- Level 16: Amy received special treatment at the event mentioned as a member of the media that was not available to the general public.
- Level 17: Amy is participating in a contest sponsored by the company mentioned in the post, and has the potential to win cash and/or prizes.
- Level 18: Amy is being paid to participate in and promote the twitter party mentioned in this post.
* A note about paid vs. sponsored posts: a paid post simply means that Amy was given some kind of compensation in exchange for writing about a product or service. A sponsored post indicates that the sponsoring company had a much bigger hand in crafting the post, possibly including suggesting talking points, or seeing and fact checking the finished post before it is published. In either case, all opinions are Amy’s own.